Tuesday 28 June 2011

91 Years Young


Today I met Ted. Ted plucked my number from the telephone directory and I count myself very lucky that he did so. He proudly told me that he is 91 and 3 months old (that'll be about 90 years older than I'm used to then!). He is a second world war veteran and wanted me to capture some images of him with his beret and treasured medals - could I help? You bet. I was very honoured to be asked.

sitting

Ted was called up to serve his country in June 1940 when he was just 20 years old. Throughout the war he served 6 years active service in the western desert of North Africa then to Italy where he progressed with his regiment, the Queens Bays, into Austria and finally to the border of Munich at which time the war ended.

badge

I loved hearing his stories. He recalled his duty with so much affection. He told me that enjoyed it but felt uncomfortable saying so. To Ted it was all about the people ... the comradeship ... the experiences that they all shared ...

landscape

What really struck me was that when most men are out enjoying the early part of their adulthood, discovering themselves and having fun, Ted was fighting for his country. He told me he wondered whether he would have turned out to be a different person had he had an opportunity to lead a 'normal' life in his formative years. No doubt he would have but different is not necessarily better.

hat and medals

I had a truly wonderful afternoon with perhaps one of the nicest people I have met in a long time. Bright, sparky, funny and totally fascinating. You can not fail to be humbled when you meet a person such as Ted. He really is 91 years young.

dave face


idea1

5 comments:

Kate said...

Sarah, this is just fantastic. Everything I love about portraits and the privilege of being a portrait photographer. Such a fabulous subject, an incredible story and so beautifully told.

Rosalind said...

Great blog post and beautiful photos Sarah.
Love the photos of him with all his medals - and he does look young for his age!

Lucy Stendall Photography said...

That's a beautiful post, what a wonderful story. He looks so handsome too, x

Tamara Tovey said...

Beautiful work, Sarah. What an amazing person you met.

Vicki said...

These are lovely Sarah. My Grandad is nearly 90 and is also a WW2 veteran and I've been thinking that I really want to take some portraits of him in his medals and beret. This has just inspired me to do just that! I'll send you the blog post when I do!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...