Wednesday 14 December 2011

Sarah's Christmas Cookies


Not long now and I'm very excited and my boys are fit to explode!

The best thing for me this time of year are family traditions of which we have many. From scrambled eggs and smoked salmon on Christmas morning, stockings first with big presents spread throughout the day, a gentle walk on the beach whilst dinner is cooking but before all that come the preparations.

I had my tree up STUPIDLY early this year ... I just couldn't wait any longer for the twinkly lights. Then come the decorations and the cooking. I'm not a good cook but I get by. I love nothing more than rummaging though all of the cookery books that my Mother-in-Law has given me through the years in the vein hope of turning me into a domestic goddess. I often make mistakes but I have fun trying and the kids just love getting messy!

So with this in mind I though I would share a recipe with you (also a good excuse to get my camera out!). A great way to keep those little hands busy and take their mind off of all of the presents under the tree and the chocolates left in the advent calendar. Jim and I made these for his nursery school teacher as a present for the end of the term but they're equally good for a little treat once the schools break up.

Have fun ...

blog-cookies-9

For my Christmas Cookies you will need:
  • 150g plain flour
  • 100g unsalted butter (cubed)
  • Pinch of salt
  • 75g sugar
  • Grated zest of 1/2 an orange
  • One egg yolk
  • Icing sugar
  • Any decorations that you fancy
Firstly set your oven on to 180 degrees/gas mark 4.

Pop your flour and butter into a food processor (or get your fingers messy) and whiz it up until you've got fine breadcrumbs. Put in the salt, sugar and zest and give it a stir.Add the egg yolk and pulse until it all starts coming together. Tip it out onto a floured surface and make a ball. Wrap in cling film and pop it in the freezer for 5 minutes or the fridge for a bit longer. Make sure you don't leave it in the freezer too long or it will be crumbly and hard to roll (I speak from experience!).

Line a baking sheet with some greaseproof paper - I usually use a tiny bit of oil or butter on the top just to sure you don't get any sticking. Roll your dough out until it's about 1.5cm thick and cut out your favourite shapes. We used a holly cutter but stars look great - think the play dough fairies had pinched my star cutter, never to be seen again!

Pop your biscuits onto your tray and put them back in the fridge or freezer for a bit to firm (say 5 mins in the freezer). Place into the top of your oven for about 15 minutes until they are lightly golden brown and firm to the touch. Cool on the tray for a few minutes and then pop them on a wire rack to cool totally before you decorate them.

Wrap with ribbon and give with love.


idea1

2 comments:

Jane Packard Photography said...

Ooh gonna make these tomorrow. They look delicious Sarah. Thanks for sharing and have a wonderful Christmas X

Sarah said...

Have fun Jane and have a wonderful Christmas yourself! xxx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...