Wednesday 21 September 2011

Simple Pleasures


What single thing reminds you of being a child? For me it's autumn. I grew up very close to the Mendip Hills in Somerset and it was our weekly family tradition, each and every Sunday to shove on our wellies and take in a country walk. The smells and colours of autumn are my most favourite thing. That gentle nip in the air, the earthy smell an that beautiful low light breaking through the trees.

bb 1


So, last Sunday I dragged the kids out. No more TV, no more Playstation, no complaining - we were going to enjoy some fresh air. Yes it was raining a bit but it's character building right? We hopped in the car and drove for 5 minutes to Cosmeston Country Park. Yes, I know i am SO lucky to live where I do. We fed the ducks and then after spying all of the juicy black fruit we decided that blackberry picking was agenda item number two. I was instantly taken back twenty years (I wish!). Do you know what? It was fun. The kids loved it. So did I.

bb 2


Back home with a bag full to the brim and purple stained fingers to show for our efforts. With culinary inspiration to rival Nigella Lawson, I whipped up a quick apple crumble (with able assistance from mini Thomas) and proudly added our treasure.

bb 3


I just had to share this with anyone who takes the time to read this blog (and thank you by the way). This day made me remember that it's the simple things in life which bring the most pleasure. It doesn't cost anything and it is priceless. I think we might have found our own family tradition for the new Thomas generation.

bb 4


It might seem odd but on days like this I like to leave my camera at home. I want to enjoy the moment rather than view it through a lens. Pictures taken by my partner with my very favourite iPhone App - Shake it Photo. Seriously, give it a whirl - I just love it!!

This weekend, wherever you are, what ever you may be doing ... remember ... simple pleasures. xx

idea1

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...